Army Service Uniform: Out with the old, in with the blue
November 19, 2010
- Soldiers in initial entry training at Fort Benning now being issued new ASU
- Uniform streamlines look
FORT BENNING, Ga. - The fielding of the new Army Service Uniform has reached Fort Benning. In September, the 30th Adjutant General's Battalion (Reception) began issuing the blue dress uniform in place of the traditional "Army greens" to graduates of basic training and One Station Unit Training, said officials at the battalion.
The fielding is part of an Armywide requirement to begin issuing the new uniform to initial entry training Soldiers by the fourth quarter of this fiscal year.
The green Class A uniform will be phased out by July 2014.
The Army looks to streamline its look and create ease of wear and care for Soldiers by consolidating its three dress uniforms - green, blue and white - into one, according to a 2008 memorandum to Soldiers from the Army G-1.
"The wear policy for the blue ASU is intended to give Soldiers what they have asked for in a service uniform while maintaining the traditions of our service," it reads.
Soldiers can continue to wear the green and "old" blue service uniforms during the transition. The new uniform is available for purchase at Fort Benning's Military Clothing Sales Store.
The primary headgear for the new uniform is the beret. Officers and enlisted Soldiers will be required to also have the service cap or hat. The uniform is made of polyester and wool fabrics that are heavier and wrinkle resistant.
Pregnant Soldiers are authorized to continue wearing the Army green maternity uniform until the ASU maternity uniform is developed and phased in, which is expected to become available before the mandatory possession date in 2014.
For more information, visit www.army.mil/asu/index.html.
Among the changes to the wear policy:
- Authorization of a combat service identification badge to recognize combat service.
- Overseas bars authorized on the jacket sleeve for both enlisted Soldiers and officers.
- Wear of the distinctive unit insignia on the shoulder loops of the blue coat for enlisted Soldiers.
- Authorization for paratroopers to wear the black jump boots with the blue ASU.
- Transition to a short sleeve and long sleeve white shirt with shoulder loops.