AAFES celebrates 115th birthday - offers Fort Rucker freebies, deals
July 15, 2010
FORT RUCKER, Ala. -- As the Army and Air Force Exchange Service readies to mark 115 years of service and support to America's military, the Fort Rucker post exchange's mission remains the same: provide quality goods and services at competitively low prices and generate earnings to support services programs.
"AAFES' commitment to Soldiers is as strong as it's ever been," said Patricia Austin, AAFES general manager. "Whether at Fort Rucker or deployed, the exchange is there for them."
In the spirit of exceptional service and support, the PX and Exchange Online Store invite authorized customers to "celebrate the savings" from July 25-27.
Shoppers who stop by the exchange during the three-day period can register to win a $5,000 exchange shopping spree, one of three Samsung LED televisions ranging from 40-55", and a round trip for to meet Mario Lopez and attend a taping of eXTRA in Hollywood, Calif.
In addition to the giveaways and sweepstakes, the PX offers a variety of great deals centered on AAFES' 115th birthday. Shoppers using their Military Star card, for example, receive $15 off purchases of $115 or more, as well as 15 cents off per gallon of gas, up to 20 gallons. A variety of items will also be priced at $1.15, $15.50 and $115 throughout the three-day celebration.
Additionally, several items at www.aafes.com, including a Bulova watch, diamond bangle bracelet, Voyager Bluetooth headset and Cuisinart Chef's 10-piece cookware set, will be offered for $115.
Since its establishment in 1895, AAFES has been involved in 14 major contingencies - to include the Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, the Balkans and Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom - and several dozen humanitarian and disaster relief operations.
AAFES is a joint command of the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force, and is directed by a board of directors responsible to the secretaries of the Army and the Air Force through the service chiefs of staff. AAFES has the dual mission of providing authorized patrons with articles of merchandise and services, and of generating non-appropriated fund earnings as a supplemental source of funding for military Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation and services programs.
In the spirit of exceptional service and support and the Army and Air Force Exchange Service 115th birthday, the Fort Rucker Post Exchange invites authorized customers to "celebrate the savings" through July 27.
Some AAFES events unique to Fort Rucker include:
* The Fort Rucker PX, Food Court and Concessions presents a free showing of McClelland's Critters from Banks, Ala., today in the PX Mall area at 11:30 a.m.
* The PX hosts a four-day Critter's Sale, today through Sunday. People can save 15 percent on selected children's clothing, toys and pet supplies of $15 or more.
* Burger King offers the Jr. Whopper value meal for $3.15, Friday through Sunday.
* Two can eat for $11.50 after 1:15 p.m. at Charley's, Popeye's or Robin Hood, Friday through Sunday. Visit food locations for details.
* Post Theater presents a free pre-screening of "Cats and Dogs - The Revenge of Kitty Galore," a movie rated PG, at 2 p.m., July 24.
* The PX will serve cake and punch in celebration of AAFES 115th birthday at 1:15 p.m. on July 25.