385th MP Battalion changes command
June 3, 2010
<b>FORT STEWART, Ga. </b>- Command of the 385th Military Police Battalion changed hands during a formal ceremony held at Fort Stewart's Marne Garden, May 26. Lieutenant Colonel Michael C. Henshaw, the outgoing commander, passed the reigns to Lt. Col. Eugenia K. Guilmartin, the new commander. Colonel Mary A. Maier, 16th MP Brigade commander-rear, Fort Bragg, N.C., served as the reviewing officer for the change of command ceremony.
The 385th MP Battalion was originally constituted and activated in Requel Sarthe, France, Nov. 3 1944. The unit served through the rest of World War II, moving to Germany in September 1945. The 385th was officially deactivated as a battalion, Nov. 1, 1948 though separate companies continued to serve in Germany until June 1993. The battalion was reactivated April 17, 2006 at Fort Stewart, consisting at that time of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, along with the 293rd, 546th and 549th MP companies. The 385th MP Battalion is assigned to the 16th MP Brigade (Airborne), XVIII Airborne Corps.
Lieutenant Colonel Guilmartin comes to Fort Stewart from Fort Bragg where she has served as deputy brigade commander for the 16th MP Brigade (Airborne), having deployed with the brigade to Bagram, Afghanistan. Lieutenant Colonel Henshaw took command of the unit in May 2008, having served as chief of Antiterrorism and Force Protection Operations Branch, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii. He will soon deploy to Afghanistan as the Director of Police Development for the NATO Training Mission- Afghanistan. His wife, Rhonda, and son, Tristan, will remain at Fort Stewart.