Tax Center opens for the benefit of all in Area I
Pfc. Mark Hill, an infantryman from 1st Battalion, 72nd Armor Regiment, presents his tax preparer, Pfc. Matthew Mahler, Headquarters Headquarters Brigade 210 Fires Brigade, with the necessary paperwork for his taxes to be completed at the grand opening of the USAG-Casey Tax Center Feb. 1 in Maude Hall on Casey.

CASEY GARRISON South Korea - The Judge Advocate General's office in Casey garrison's Maude Hall opened their Tax Center with a ribbon cutting and cake cutting Feb. 1. The afternoon marked the first day of business for the Tax Center in Area 1.

"I have filed my taxes without the assistance of the military three times before. One time I went to H&R Block and had only one person help me, but today I have had at least three people come to me and ask if I needed any assistance," said 2nd Lt. Colin Kras,1st Battalion, 15th Field Artillery Regiment maintenance control officer, commenting on the Tax Center's quality customer service.

A fulltime tax center will operate on Casey garrison as well as Red Cloud garrison. Trained tax assistants will also rotate to Camp Stanley to provide service for Warriors there. A total of 11 Soldiers and two civilian volunteers, all trained in tax preparation and tax policy, will serve during the extended return season.

"I think the service the Tax Center is providing is important because it makes filing taxes easier," said Pfc. Elmer Hufragio, 1st Heavy Brigade combat Team infantryman. "I have only been in the Army for a year, so this is my first time filing taxes. I am going to continue to use the tax services the Army provides."

The Casey garrison Tax Center will operate 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 1 - 5 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Saturdays. The Red Cloud garrison Tax Center, will operate 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays and 1 - 5 p.m. Thursdays. Tax preparers will serve 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Wednesdays at the Camp Stanley legal office.

If you are a member of the Armed Forces on active duty and you move because of a permanent change of station, you can deduct the reasonable unreimbursed expenses of moving you and members of your household.

If you serve in a combat zone as an enlisted person or as a warrant officer for any part of a month, all your military pay received for military service that month is not taxable. For officers, the monthly exclusion is capped at the highest enlisted pay, plus any hostile fire or imminent danger pay received.

The time for taking care of certain tax matters can be postponed. The deadline for filing tax returns, paying taxes, filing claims for refund, and taking other actions with the IRS is automatically extended for qualifying members of the military.

If military regulations prohibit you from wearing certain uniforms when off duty, you can deduct the cost and upkeep of those uniforms, but you must reduce your expenses by any allowance or reimbursement you receive.

Generally, joint returns must be signed by both spouses. However, when one spouse may not be available due to military duty, a power of attorney may be used to file a joint return.

If you are a member of the US Armed Forces Reserves, you can deduct unreimbursed travel expenses for traveling more than 100 miles away from home to perform your reserve duties.
Subsistence allowances paid to ROTC students participating in advanced training are not taxable. However, active duty pay - such as pay received during summer advanced camp - is taxable.
You may be able to deduct some costs you incur while looking for a new job.

Expenses may include travel, resume preparation fees, and outplacement agency fees. Moving expenses may be deductible if your move is closely related to the start of work at a new job location, and you meet certain tests.

Patrons should bring their military identification cards, copies of all W-2 and 1099 forms, copies of all dependants' Social Security cards, a copy of last year's tax return, if available, and a voided check for bank account information. For more information, call 730-3591.

Page last updated Fri July 22nd, 2011 at 12:16