Guidance on National Defense Authorization Act retirement changes announced
January 26, 2010
A Benefits Administration Letter (BAL) was issued on Jan. 12 from the Office of Personnel Management providing general guidance concerning the benefits under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS) that have been affected by the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010", Public Law 111-84, signed on Oct. 28, 2009.
Further analysis related to the effects of these changes is being conducted by the organization, and informational materials and forms will be updated as needed on their website. Additional BALs will be issued as warranted.
The "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010," Public Law 111-84, provides for the following benefits changes under CSRS and FERS:
- Part-Time Reemployment
- Credit for unused sick leave under FERS
- Limited expansion of the class of individuals eligible to receive an actuarially reduced annuity under the CSRS
- Computation of CSRS annuities based on part-time service
- Authority to deposit refunds under FERS
- Retirement credit for service of certain employees transferred from District of Columbia service to federal service
- Non-foreign area retirement equity assurance
More details about each of these changes can be found on the OPM Web Site and by reviewing the following document: <a href=" http://www.opm.gov/retire/pubs/bals/2010/10-101.pdf" target=Aca,!A?_blank"> http://www.opm.gov/retire/pubs/bals/2010/10-101.pdf</a>