King and 8 over 10 and 2 win Hold'em Tournament
Brian Simecek (end of table) awaits his winning hand of Kings and 8s during the 2009 Texas Hold'em Championship held Nov. 28 in Red Cloud's Mitchell's Club. Adam Pepper (table right holding poker chips) awaits his hand of 10s.

RED CLOUD GARRISON - Brian Simecek draws Kings and 8s to win annual Texas Hold'em Championship held Nov. 28 by USAG-Red Cloud Family, Morale, Welfare, and Recreation.
"I won today because I was able to watch other players and guess their hands," Simecek said. "Texas Hold'em is a game that is 60 percent chance, 40 percent skill. Sometimes it is good to be lucky."

Adam Pepper placed second holding 10s.

"My last hand was a 10 and a duce," Pepper said. "I took second in this tournament last year. There is a lot of skill involved in poker; it is a psychological battle with an element of risk."
Texas Hold'em tournaments have been in high demand by Warriors in the land of the Morning Calm, said Chris Bradford, FMWR business manager.

"We like to provide events for our Soldiers that are in high demand and very popular," he said. "This championship is not a part of a series nor are there any tournaments that lead into it. It is something we provide every quarter or, at least every six months. We have weekly leagues on Red Cloud and on Casey, but those are independent of this tournament."

Total prizes given totaled more than $2,000 and were paid to the top 10 gamblers finishing the tournament.

"We gave prizes for different funny things, such as the person who loses out first, etc.," Bradford said. "Our first prize is a $1,000 gift certificate from Army and Air Force Exchange Service."
More than 120 gamblers played seven hours before the top two champions emerged.

Page last updated Wed December 9th, 2009 at 00:47