Embracing social media
December 8, 2009
REDSTONE ARSENAL, Ala. -- If you are looking for the most up to date information from around the U.S. Army Materiel Command, check us out online.
AMC and many of its major subordinate commands have embraced the technologies of Web 2.0 to include Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, iReport, LinkedIn, Twitter and several blogs.
According to the Social Media Marketing Industry Report, the number-one benefit of social media marketing is gaining the all-important eyeball. A significant 81% of all marketers indicated that their social media efforts have generated exposure for their businesses.
AMC, like any other fortune 500 company, is seeking exposure.
Another key element social media technologies tap into is timeliness. AMC often utilizes Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and the BRAC blog to keep our audiences informed minute by minute, while the event is actually happening.
For example at the winter meeting of the Association of the United States Army, AMC populated the social media sites with photos, quotes and articles, as they occurred.
"Our audiences have the ability to experience what AMC is doing as it happens through social media technologies," said Nelson McCouch, deputy of AMC Public and Congressional Affairs.
Whether they are at their desk, at home or using their cell phone, AMC is reaching out and connecting to an increasingly large audience.
Currently, AMC has 1,307 fans on Facebook, 1,823 followers on Twitter, 161,187 views on its Flickr photo sharing site, 55,286 hits on its Brac blog, and 12,027 channel views on YouTube.
Support AMC, suggest our sites to a friend and engage our online communities.
Other AMC subordinate commands utilizing social media outlets include:
- Research, Development and Engineering Command:Army Technology Live,Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and YouTube.
- Army Contracting Command: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Aviation and Missile Command: Facebook, Twitter
- Picatinny Arsenal: Twitter, Facebook
- Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command: Flickr, YouTube
- Army Sustainment Command: Facebook
- Toole Army Depot: Facebook
- Army Security Assistance Command:Facebook, Twitter and Flickr.