<b>An Update on the Post-9/11 GI Bill: Good Things to Know </b>

<b>What is it' </b>

The Post-9/11 GI Bill has been in effect since August 1, 2009 and the interest among Soldiers and family members has been very high. Eligible Soldiers can use the benefit for themselves or transfer the benefit to their spouses or children. Soldiers and spouses who use the benefit while the Soldier is still on active duty will enjoy full payment of all their undergraduate or graduate courses and fees. For all others, up to 36 months of benefits will be paid based on a sliding scale linked to the Soldier's qualifying active-duty service since September 9, 2001. For more information and to apply for your Post- 9/11 GI Bill benefits, go to Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill Web site. To transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children, go to Transfer of Education Benefits Web site.

<b>How does this impact Soldiers' </b>

As of August 5th, 7,500 Soldiers had already transferred benefits to their spouses or children. There are several good things to know about transferability:

AcaEUR"A? Remember, to qualify for transferability under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Soldiers must have served a combination of six years on active duty and/or in the selected reserve, and must commit to another four years. Soldiers with 17 or more years of service as of August 1, 2009 have shorter additional service obligations.

AcaEUR"A? Eligible dependents are spouses and dependent children in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and eligible for DEERS benefits when the request to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits is submitted. Children can use transferred benefits until they turn 26, while spouses can use them until 15 years after the Soldier leaves active duty.

AcaEUR"A? Once you submit your request to transfer benefits, it should be processed within 24 to 48 hours. You won't get confirmation e-mail, so keep checking back at <a href="https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/TEB/" target="_blank">Transfer of Education Benefits</a>. If there is a problem with your request, contact the appropriate office below:

Active-duty enlisted Soldiers: Speak to your career counselor

Active-duty officers Lt. Col. and below: <a href="mailto: hrcpost911gibill@conus.army.mil " target="_blank"> Contact HRC Post</a>

Active-duty Col.: Contact Colonel Officer Management Office

Active-duty general officers: Contact General Officer Management Office

All USAR: <a href="mailto: mgib.support@conus.army.mil" target="_blank">Contact USAR</a>

All ARNG: <a href="mailto: gibill@pec.ngb.army.mil " target="_blank">Contact ARNG</a>

<b>What continued efforts does the Army have planned for the future'</b>

To find out more about transferability and read the policy, go to <a href="http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/2009/0409_gibill/" target="_blank"> DefenseLink Web site </a> . Only active-duty or selected reserve Soldiers can transfer benefits. Retired Soldiers can't transfer benefits if they didn't choose that option while still on active duty or selected reserve.

<b>Resources: </b>

<a href="http://www.gibill.va.gov/ " target="_blank">Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill Web site</a>

<a href="https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/TEB/" target="_blank">Transfer of Education Benefits Web site</a>

<a href="http://armyg1-dev-internet.hqda.pentagon.mil/docs/Transferability%20Quick%20Reference.pdf" target="_blank">Army Quick Reference Guide on Transferring Benefits (PDF)</a>

<a href="http://armyg1-dev-internet.hqda.pentagon.mil/docs/Post-9-11%20GI%20Bill%20Post%20Policy%20%28Approved%29.pdf " target="_blank">Army's Post-9/11 G.I. Bill Policy (PDF)</a>

<a href="http://armyg1-dev-internet.hqda.pentagon.mil/docs/Post%209-11%20GI%20Bill%20policy%20memo%20cover.pdf" target="_blank">ASA (M&RA) Cover Memorandum Announcing Implementation (PDF)</a>

Page last updated Fri July 22nd, 2011 at 12:16