Military Spouse Day - May 15, 2009
May 1, 2009
- We salute Military Spouses!
In addition to the message below from the Secretary of the Army, The Honorable Pete Geren; Chief of Staff, Army, General George Casey; and the Sergeant Major of the Army, SMA Kenneth Preston,... Command Sgt. Maj. Brown and I render a special salute to you, the Military spouses, on your day May 8th, 2009. You have endured much and remained committed and unwavering in your support to your Military member and the Nation. It was not without great sacrifice that the U.S. Military has accomplished much - your strength and courage was not in vain and we thank you.
LTC Fern O. Sumpter
DTG: 301656Z APR 09
SUBJECT: MILITARY SPOUSE APPRECIATION DAY MESSAGE 2009
THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT BY THE PENTAGON TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER ON BEHALF OF DA WASHINGTON DC//SA/CSA/SMA//
Subject: MILITARY SPOUSE APPRECIATION DAY MESSAGE, 2009
SA GEREN, CSA CASEY, AND SMA PRESTON SEND
1. IN THE 19TH CENTURY THE ARMY PROTECTED SETTLERS MOVING WEST. ARMY SPOUSES BRAVED THE JOURNEY AND LIFE ON THE FRONTIER TO BE WITH THEIR SOLDIERS. WHEN RELOCATING, THEY RODE OX OR HORSE-DRAWN CARTS AND WAGONS AND, SOMETIMES, EVEN WALKED. THEY CONFRONTED HARSH CLIMATE, DISEASE, AND ATTACK WHILE COPING WITH MILITARY LIFE. WHILE TIMES HAVE CHANGED, TODAY'S ARMY SPOUSES STILL CONFRONT MANY CHALLENGES. IN THE 21ST CENTURY THE ARMY HAS A GLOBAL PRESENCE IN EIGHTY COUNTRIES. TODAY, ARMY SPOUSES CONFRONT MULTIPLE DEPLOYMENTS, RELOCATIONS, AND SEPARATIONS WHILE GRACEFULLY COPING WITH MILITARY LIFE.
2. IN 2007 WE INSTITUTED THE ARMY FAMILY COVENANT AND THE ARMY COMMUNITY COVENANT, IN PART TO RECOGNIZE THE COMMITMENT AND INCREASING SACRIFICES THAT OUR FAMILIES MAKE EVERY DAY AND TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE STRENGTH OF OUR SOLDIERS COMES FROM THE STRENGTH OF THEIR FAMILIES. OUR SPOUSES ARE COMMUNITY LEADERS, CAREERISTS, MOTHERS, FATHERS, AND SOLDIERS. OUR SPOUSES ROUTINELY PUT THE WELFARE OF THEIR SOLDIER, FAMILY, AND NATION ABOVE THEIR OWN. AFTER ALMOST EIGHT YEARS AT WAR AND MULTIPLE DEPLOYMENTS, OUR ACTIVE, RESERVE, AND NATIONAL GUARD SPOUSES CONTINUE TO SUPPORT AMERICA'S ARMY UNCONDITIONALLY.
3. IN 2009 WE CONTINUE TO BE HUMBLED BY YOUR SACRIFICES AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO PROVIDING YOU THE QUALITY OF LIFE COMMENSURATE WITH YOUR SERVICE. ALSO, AS WE CELEBRATE "THE YEAR OF THE NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER" (NCO) IN 2009, WE ARE REMINDED THAT THE NCO CORPS IS THE BACKBONE OF THE AMERICAN ARMY, AND, OUR SPOUSES ARE THE BACKBONE OF THE AMERICAN ARMY FAMILY.
4. ON MAY 8TH, MILITARY SPOUSE APPRECIATION DAY, WE SALUTE YOU. ARMY FAMILIES, ARMY STRONG!