Secretary of Army presents top achievement awards
March 18, 2009
WASHINGTON (Army News Service, March 18, 2009) -- The 17 recipients of the 2008 Secretary of the Army Awards were honored March 18 during a ceremony at the Women in Military Service for America Memorial at the gates of Arlington National Cemetery.
Lt. Gen. David H. Huntoon Jr., director of the Army Staff and Dr. Lynn Heirakuji, deputy assistant secretary of the Army for Personnel Oversight, assisted Secretary of the Army Pete Geren in presenting the awards.
"All the award recipients here this morning represent the proud Army tradition of selfless service, of answering the call of something greater than yourself," said Geren. "When we honor our recipients today, we are honoring all the men and women they work with on a daily basis. Your accomplishments are second only to your motivation, we thank you very much for what you have done."
Award winners included:
• Outstanding Achievement as an Equal Employment Opportunity Professional: Renita W. McNeill, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Wilmington, N.C.
• Outstanding Achievement as an EEO Manager: Maj. Gen. Robert Radin, U.S. Army Sustainment Command, Rock Island, Ill.
• Outstanding Achievement as an EEO Manager: Spurgeon A. Moore, director of the Equal Opportunity Compliance and Review Directorate in Arlington, Va.
• Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization: Garfield W. Boon Jr., Space and Missile Defense Command, Huntsville, Ala.
• Secretary of the Army Editor of the Year: Marcus A. Cox, Installation Management Command - Europe.
• Secretary of the Army Award for Publications Improvements: Dwayne J. Viergutz, IMCOM-Europe.
• Secretary of the Army Award for Publications Improvements, Departmental: Diane E. Eidson of the U.S. Army Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear School at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
• Suggester of the Year Award, Civilian: David A. Sanchez, Corpus Christi Army Depot, Texas.
• Suggester of the Year Award, Military: Chief Warrand Officer 3 Jason A. Greegor, Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center, Warren, Mich.
Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service:
• Edward G. Elgart, CECOM Life Cycle Management Command, Fort Monmouth, N.J.
• Kevin M. Fahey, Program Executive Office, Ground Combat Systems, Warren, Mich.
• Krishna Ganta, deputy for Army Environmental Programs, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Installation Management, Washington, D.C.
• Phillip L. Hunt, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Washington, D.C.
• Yolanda G. Lay, supervisory traffic management specialist, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, G-4, Washington, D.C.
• Lee Thompson, executive director of teh Logistics Civil Augmentation Program known as LOGCAP and assistant deputy assistant secretary of the Army for policy and procurement in Iraq and Afghanistan.
• Claudia L. Tornblom, deputy assistant secretary of the Army for Civil Works
• Michael J. VanRassen, supervisory program manager for Program Executive Office - Command, Control, Communications Tactical, Fort Monmouth, N.J.