Wuerzburg chapter in U.S. Army story closes
A flag detail of Soldiers from the 15th Engineer Battalion, stationed in Schweinfurt, Germany, lowers the flag over Leighton Barracks in Wuerzburg for the final time, Jan. 14. The U.S. Army returned the installation to the host nation following the ceremony.

SCHWEINFURT, Germany -- "Well, I got here in '79."

A little farther down the line, in the back of the crowd, another voice began its reminiscence.

"More than 50 years ago..."

These two storytellers were among the last to walk the snowy ground on Leighton Barracks in Wuerzburg, an installation the Army returned to the German authorities Jan. 14.

A brief ceremony marked the end of a relationship with the city of Wuerzburg and its surrounding communities that began in the closing days of World War II.

"Our Army was lucky to spend so many years in this beautiful city," said Lt. Col. Anthony Haager, who, as the U.S. Army Garrison Schweinfurt commander, was responsible for carrying Leighton Barracks across the finish line.

"On behalf of those who have called Wuerzburg home, thank you for the unwavering friendship and partnership and dedication," Haager said, addressing the crowd, which included Dr. Paul Beinhofer, president of Lower Franconia, and Wuerzburg Lord Mayor Georg Rosenthal.

Haager also thanked the many workers -- several of whom were among the attendees -- who kept the community going for so many years.

Wuerzburg came under the control of the American occupational forces April 7, 1945, and the GIs took control of the hospital the next day, according to Beinhofer, who reflected on the importance of the American military presence in Wuerzburg and Germany.

"With the retreat of the Stars and Stripes -- the American flag -- today, a long era, more than 60 years of the U.S. Army here in Wuerzburg, is ending," Beinhofer said.

"The U.S. Army freed this land from the Nazi regime. The United States also, through the Marshall Plan, massively supported its rebuilding," Beinhofer said. "For that, (Lt.) Col. Haager, we are thankful, and will not forget this."

The First Infantry Division called Wuerzburg home from 1945 to 1955 and returned its "Big Red One" colors to Leighton Barracks in 1996, remaining until the summer of 2006. The "Rock of the Marne," the Third Infantry Division, was headquartered there from 1958 to 1996.

Beinhofer, switching at the close of his remarks to English and speaking directly to Haager, seemed to address the many thousands of Soldiers, families and civilians who called Wuerzburg home.

"You are welcome in Lower Franconia, you know that. We are and will be friends now and in the future. God bless you," he said.

So the time had come.

Soldiers from the 15th Engineer Battalion, the newest unit in the Schweinfurt military community, lowered the American flag for the final time over an installation with one of the longest histories in the German-American partnership.

Page last updated Fri July 22nd, 2011 at 12:16