New Army careers begin on Army's 239th Birthday
June 18, 2014
- Army.mil: 239th Army Birthday
- 239th Army Birthday tri-signed letter - "America's Army: Our Profession"
- More U.S. Army News
- STAND-TO!: Celebrating 239 Years of Service to the Nation and the Army Profession
- Under Secretary of the Army
- STAND-TO!: Happy 239th Birthday, U.S. Army
- Learn more about the U.S. Army Military District of Washington
- More photos from this event
- The 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) on Facebook
- U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own"
- U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own" on Facebook
- Army secretary, SMA launch Army birthday events, present Purple Hearts
- Army celebrates 239th birthday in New York City
PHILADELPHIA (June 18, 2014) -- Twenty young American's raised their hands and became Soldiers during a ceremony held Saturday, at Phillies Citizens Bank Park Stadium here, shortly before the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Chicago Cubs, 7 to 4.
Under Secretary of the Army Brad Carson adminstered the oath of enlistment to the new Soldiers as part of the many celebrations held around the globe celebrating the 239th birthday of the U.S. Army. Following the enlistment ceremony, members from the U.S. Army Drill Team Soloists and the Continental Color Guard, both from the 3rd Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), performed in front of thousands of fans.
Carson also participated in a cake cutting ceremony at Independence Hall in the historic district of Philadelphia earlier that day. Elements of the 3rd Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) and the U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own" also performed during the ceremony.
Saturday, June 14, officially marked the day 239 years ago that the Continental Congress passed a resolution to establish the American Continental Army.
For more information about the Army's 239th birthday go to www.army.mil/birthday/239