Access control points, other services to be affected by furlough
July 1, 2013
ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. - Starting July 8, hours and services at the installation access control points and other services will change due to furloughs. The only 24/7 operation gates will be the Route 715 (Maryland Boulevard) gate in APG North (Aberdeen) and the Route 24 gate in APG South (Edgewood).
The biggest change, and the greatest concern for drivers, will be the closure of the Route 22 gate in Aberdeen and the Wise Road gate in Edgewood. These gates will be open, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday only. Drivers must use the 24/7 access control points at all other times. In addition, the Aberdeen gate in APG North, which was open to outbound traffic in the evenings, will remain closed throughout the furlough period, as will the Magnolia gate in APG South.
The Garrison Commander solicited input from a majority of commands and activities on APG to determine what days employees would be furloughed. Approximately 40 percent of workers will be furloughed on Monday and the other 60 percent will be furloughed on Friday. With concurrence from Maj. Gen. Robert S. Ferrell, APG's senior mission commander, it was determined the best course of action was to close the non-visitor access control gates on each side (APG North & South) on these two days while still allowing visitor control and a permanent 24/7 gate.
Chris Ferris, director of Emergency Services, said an additional challenge was creating a reasonable schedule for the dozens of furloughed police officers who normally operate the access control points and perform other police activities on the installation.
'These actions are necessary for the garrison to meet the intent of the furlough," Ferris
In addition to the tenant organizations and directors the installation reached out to the state highway administration to determine the impact on major arteries. Installation tenants and DES worked together to minimize the impact on commuters and the garrison continues to work hard to maintain a high level of service. The DES responsibilities are unchanged and it remains a 24-hour workforce.
While the Garrison bears in mind the inconvenience furlough closures, particularly at the gates, may affect workers and visitors, the changes are an unfortunate necessity to bear during the furlough period.
Additional Furlough changes
Also starting July 8, the APG North visitor control center hours are 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday; 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Sunday and federal holidays. The Badge Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday; closed weekends and federal holidays.
In APG South the visitor control center is open 5 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, closed weekends and federal holidays. The badge offices open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday; closed weekends and federal holidays.
Commissary: The Post Commissary will be closed Tuesday in addition to the regularly scheduled Monday.
OSJA Client Services; Closed on Friday starting July 12 and lasting throughout the furlough period.
Directorate of Logistics: Closed Fridays (July 12, 19, and 26; Aug. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30; and Sept. 6, 13 and 20).
AAFES: No change
MWR: No change
RSO: No change
DHR: No change
DPW: No change
Super Eagle Supply: No change
Kirk U.S. Army Health Clinic: No change
DENTAC: No change
EEO: No change
CPAC: No change
For updates to this list check the APG News, the APG website at www.apg.army.mil or the APG Facebook site at www.facebook.com/APGMd. Follow APG on Twitter at www.twitter.com/USAGAPG.