Defense Support to Civil Authorities (DSCA) – Special Events for 2006
What is it? Each year, the Army provides military support for various events to enhance security and showcase Army capabilities as a part of DSCA.
What has the Army done? The Army provided support for the following special events:
- State of the Union Address. The U. S. Secret Service (USSS) was the Lead Federal Agency responsible for security planning; with the U. S. Capitol Police (USCP) providing security for the Capitol Building. The USCP requested assistance from the Secretary of Defense who tasked the military services.
- Army Support included:
- Joint Force Headquaters – National Capital Region for command and control
- 3rd Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard): One infantry company, MP detachment and the regimental headquarters
- 12th Aviation Battalion
- Collapsed building search and rescue unit from the MDW Engineer company
- MP Detachments from Forts Meade, Myer, and Fort Belvoir
- Two Advanced Trauma Life Support medical teams
- Patient Decontamination Teams
- Army Medical Receiving facility, and staging at FT Belvoir.
- Joint Service Open House (JSOH). DoD sponsors JSOH at Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland every year to display capabilities of our Armed Forces. The 2006 JSOH was 15 -22 May.
Army participation included: ceremonial support, K-9 support, the Golden Knights Parachute Team, , mine/counter-mine displays, combat system displays (M1 Abrams, M2 Bradley, M-109A6 Paladin, Stryker Infantry Carrier, Avenger, HMMWV, M-19 Grenade Launcher, AH-64 Apache, UH-60 Blackhawk, OH-58 Kiowa, Patriot Missile Defense System, Multiple Launch Rocket System), support system displays (Common Bridge Transporter, crane, Palletized Load System, Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit, Smoke Generator Tracked Armored, HMMWV Ambulance, Tactical Fire Fighting truck), orientation teams (National Guard, U.S. Army Reserves, 75th Ranger Regiment, and 3rd, 10th, 82nd, and 101st Divisions) and 300 Soldiers assisting with security. A battalion sized parachute drop demonstration occurred daily.
- Public Service Recognition Week. The DoD sponsors Public Service Recognition Week on the National Mall every year to recognize contributions of individuals dedicated to public service of our country. The Army participates with static displays and demonstrations to show appreciation, display Army capabilities to the public, and enhance recruiting efforts.
The 2006 PSRW was conducted 1-8 May. Army support included: ceremonial support, K-9 support, Mine / Counter – mine displays, combat system displays (M1 Abrams, M2 Bradley, M-109A6 Paladin, Stryker Infantry Carrier, HMMWV, M-19 Grenade Launcher, OH-58 Kiowa, Patriot Missile Defense System, Multiple Launch Rocket System), and orientation teams (National Guard, U.S. Army Reserves, 75th Ranger Regiment, and 3rd, 10th, 82nd, and 101st Divisions).
- Super Bowl XL. The Army supported the event held 5 Feb 06 in Detroit Michigan.
What continued efforts does the Army have planned for the future? The Army will continue to provide support to civil authorities when requested. Army agencies will continue providing displays and personnel at special events.
Why is this important to the Army? The Army’s DSCA support contributes to security of highly publicized events.